Online Permit Application

Apply for your permit to shoot on state-owned property and track your permit status.

June 12, 2020 Update

The California Film Commission is open but our permit coordinators are working remotely.  We advise everyone to obey all State, County, and City orders in effect regarding non-essential businesses.  Applications will be processed on a case by case basis.  Productions should be prepared to submit their Covid-19 safety plan with their application.

State Parks are now considering filming on a case by case basis depending on the County Health Department orders in place and the ability of park staff to handle each request.  Please allow more time than normal for review of your application.

Caltrans will consider applications on a case by case basis that follow the Health Orders and guidelines for each district.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation has suspended all non-essential activities including filming.  Other State buildings and facilities will consider filming on a case by case basis.

Please refer to the state Covid-19 response website for more general information.

Contact Permit Team Manager Eric Klosterman with any questions or concerns or call 323-817-4105.

The CFC has a new permit application system. You will need to create a new account to begin using the new system. Your login will be the email address that you use to create the account. You will be asked to request a key each time you want to log in. The key will be emailed to you. You will then be sent to the application home page where you can create an application or view applications you have already started or submitted. Find more helpful instructions by clicking the yellow box below.

All state permit applications must be submitted four (4) business days / 96 hours (weekends and holidays are not considered business days) prior to the first prep/shoot day.  Caltrans ramp and lane closures require a minimum of at least twelve (12) business days in advance of prep/shoot; freeway closures require a minimum of sixteen (16) business days.

Monitor Payments and Permit Issuance: The California Film Commission cannot issue permits until all estimated monitor fees and other cost recovery payments have been received by the permit staff.  This rule applies to all permit requests without exception.

California Film Commission
7080 Hollywood Blvd., Suite 900
Hollywood, CA 90028
Tel: 323.860.2960 | 800.858.4749
Email the CFC | About Us

Stay Informed! Sign Up:
Production Alerts

Download the Cinemascout app!

cinemascout app icon

GO-Biz logo
vaccinate all 58