for Filming on State Property
Production companies requesting to film on State owned or operated property must submit all of the following insurance documentation when applying for a film permit.
Still photography, film, digital or new media without Automobiles:
- Certificate(s) of Insurance (COI) as evidence of General Liability coverage in the amount not less than $1,000,000 for each occurrence.
- A separate additional insured endorsement for the COI with the following wording: “the State of California, including its officers, agents and employees is named as additional insured, with respect to liability arising out of the operations related to filming on California state owned or operated property.”
- Workers Compensation: State law requires companies provide proof of worker’s compensation coverage. If a company has no employees the company may submit a Workers Compensation waiver letter. (Please create your own document based on the sample template.)
Still photography, film, digital or new media with Automobiles:
Provide all documents listed above PLUS:
- Automobile Liability “Owned,” “Hired” and “Non-Owned” coverage in an amount not less than $1,000,000 for each accident.
(The certificates must be in U.S. dollars.)
State of California
7080 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood, CA 90028
Sample Insurance Documents
Aviation / Helicopter Coverage
If a fixed wing aircraft or helicopter is used in filming, in addition to the insurance requirements listed above, the hired company must provide aviation insurance in an amount of not less than $5,000,000 for each accident.
UAS / Drone Coverage
In addition to the insurance requirements listed above, the UAS company or pilot/operator must supply specific UAS coverage (listing the specific aircraft to be used) with a limit of at least $2,000,000. Proof of coverage can be submitted in two ways:
- If coverage is from an aviation-specific insurance carrier (such as Global Aerospace) only the certificate of insurance is required OR
- If UAS coverage is being added to a general liability policy, company must supply a separate endorsement showing proof of UAS coverage AND a separate endorsement naming “the State of California, including its officers, agents and employees is named as additional insured, with respect to liability arising out of the operations related to filming on California state owned or operated property.”
Your school will provide the Certificates of Insurance. You are responsible for suppling a completed student certification letter.
If you do not have commercial liability insurance you should seek out an insurance broker who specializes in entertainment insurance and/or short-term policies. This list of insurance brokers is provided as a courtesy. Inclusion on this list does not imply an endorsement by the State of California or the California Film Commission.